The Great Mates is a 501 (c) 3 organization whose mission is to enrich the lives of our members, the yachting community and the community at large by supporting charitable organizations, awarding scholarships and sponsoring events of general interest.
The Great Mates meet monthly on the third Thursday of each month from September through May.
Nov. 16—Men’s and Women’s Fashion Show by Hearts Desire (featuring Wearable Art and unique accessories) and Tommy Bahama’s latest club styles for men. Not only will you see great fashion but also learn something unique about each of our members who are modeling. You may even be able to grab a quick holiday gift or clothing item, because our two vendors are donating some proceeds to Great Mates’ charities.
and for Men!
Welcome to The Great Mates Scholarship page! The Great Mates wish to congratulate all students who submitted an application for consideration of a 2017 scholarship. We are impressed with your outstanding achievements and dedication to community service to help others and offer the very best to each for a future of continued success!
Please join The Great Mates at the general membership meeting on May 11, 2017 at 6PM at The Bradenton Yacht Club when we honor and give recognition to these Manatee County students and Bradenton Yacht Club employees.
- Taylor Angel
- Marc Brunot
- Lindsay Buck
- Jordaija Farnum
- Jordan Giveans
- Allison Hawkins
- Nina Jones
- Patricia Payne
- Rebecca Richard
- Gedia Rodriguez
- Leslye Trujillo
As we enter our 9th year, the Great Mates Book Club has read over 91 titles from inception. We continue to have exciting, stimulating and fascinating discussions the 2nd Tuesday of every month and all are welcome to join us! Reservations are never necessary and guests are always encouraged to attend!
2017 Book Series
- January 10 – COMMODORE’S CHOICE: Such Mad Fun, by Robin Cutler – 4.0 stars!
- February 21 – Euphoria, by Lily King – 3.5 stars!
- March 14 – Boys in the Boat, by Daniel James Brown – 5.0 stars!
- April 11 – Lust for Life, by Irving Stone – 4.0 stars!
- May 09 – Night, Elie Wiesel – Trish Ruggiero – 4.5 stars!
- June 13 – Stoner, by John Williams – Newell Yaple – 4.0 stars!
- July 11 – The Deep Blue Goodbye, by John D. McDonald – Russ Ward – 4.5 stars!
- August 08 – The Sympathizer, by Viet Than Nguyen – 4.5 stars!
- September 12 – Fates and Furies, by Laura Groff – Keri Hockett – 4 stars!
- October 10 – Nightingale, by Kristin Hannah – Denise Berte – 4.75 stars!
- November 14 – The Light Between the Oceans, by M.L. Stedman – Ann Wolpers
- December 12 – To Kill A Mockingbird / Go Set A Watchman, by Harper Lee – Trish Ruggiero
2018 Book Series
- January 8, 2018 – Be Frank With Me, by Julia Claiborne Johnson* – Jo Ann Meilner to lead
- February 13, 2018 – Delaney’s People, by Beth Duke – the author is a friend of Casey McClash and will come speak to us and lead our meeting
- March 13, 2018 – COMMODORE’S PICK: Gentleman in Moscow: A novel, by Amor Towles – Commodore Jack Gorman to lead our meeting
- April 10, 2018 – The Lonely Silver Rain, by John D. MacDonald (last of the Travis McGee series) – Russ Ward to lead
- May 8, 2018 – Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, by John Berendt (non fiction) – Anne Rose to lead
- June 12, 2018 – Never Cry Wolf, by Farley Mowat – Michele Gish to lead
- June 10, 2018 – Hillbilly Elegy, by J.D. Vance (non fiction) – Keri Hockett to lead
- August 14, 2018 – Lila, by Marilyn Robinson – Jill Ahern to lead
- September 11, 2018 – Highwire Moon, by Susan Straight – Betsy Oakey to lead
- October 9, 2018 – Butcher’s Crossing, by John Williams – Newell Yaple to lead
- November 13, 2018 – 1984, by George Orwell – Trish Ruggiero to lead
- December 11, 2018 – Holidays on Ice, by David Sedaris – Need a leader